Saturday, April 13, 2013

So one of my favorite genealogy resources is Dick Eastman's Online Genealogical Newsletter.  A friend introduced me to it when I become the director in Virginia, and I've followed every post since.  It's not only a great genealogical resource but a great technology resource as he generally writes several posts per day and the all focus on genealogy or technology related subjects and what the latest and greatest things happening are.

Today he had a particularly interesting post that I thought I would share, which he snagged from Google's Public Policy Blog entitled "Plan Your Digital After-life with Interactive Account Manager".


Basically Google has rolled out a feature called "Inactive Account Manager", where you can select what happens to your account after X amount of inactivity.  You can have it deleted or send specific parts of your account to different email addresses, so it gives you complete control.

Honestly, I think it's awesome, I've thought about the life of my digital stuff on several occasions, and it's a big part of why I was so excited when they rolled out FamilySearch.org/Photos, because I wanted somewhere that I knew my "stuff" would stay even after I died and no longer had an active account.  I figured that a free account somewhere where the pictures were of use to many people was a great place.  Plus probably just because I'm a member of the LDS church which sponsors FamilySearch I have an inherent "trust" in FamilySearch. Whether correctly placed or incorrectly, I do have it.

Thanks GOOGLE you've now solved even more of my digital problems, as you often do.  I LOVE GOOGLE!

No comments:

Post a Comment